Wednesday, March 25, 2009

UNIQUE

My first attempt at Adobe Illustrator was a success (I think). I created a very simple image, the word "Unique" with synonyms written on the inside of each letter. The font is stencil-like to reinforce the possibility for infinite reproductions and the colors are simple black and white, to make the image seem as 'un-unique' as possible. Again, although the sticker claims to be "unique" it really is not, it has the ability to be mass produced.

Only when I take the photographs of the sticker in context with actual individuals will it move past the infinite and into the unique. I think it's a fun juxtaposition. I think I may want to send out the image to a company to make bumper stickers, and buy them in bulk for two reasons

1. The act of the mechanical production of the stickers works with my theme

2. I'm not sure how to go about making my own, as I am having trouble finding vinyl sticker paper to print on. Besides, its not the actual sticker that is my final project, it is the photographs. Mechanical production will just be a part of the means to the end.

2 comments:

  1. I like the directness of the image and it's readability (thought the small text may make it difficult to read while driving without getting dangerously close). There is adhesive paper available for the Epson printer that you may want to use for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I find it interesting that you would use a stencil font for the word unique, any reason in particular you chose that?

    ReplyDelete