Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Unique Spring Break

Over spring break my friends and I went down to Chincoteague Island, VA to spend the week. The island isn't your typical spring break destination, as the 6th of us made up about 1/3 of the population (the other 2/3 were over the age of 60). We spent our days on the beach (wrapped up in layers of sweatshirts and pants), bike riding and exploring the wildlife trails (where we saw real wild ponies!!) and our nights at the Chincoteague Inn mixing with locals (Jim-bob and self proclaimed "Crazy-Drunk-Guy"). It may not sound like it, but it was the most fun I have had in a long time.

In addtion to Chincoteague Inn karoke night (where we were an overwhelming success with our rendition of Journey's Don't Stop Believing) I went on a sort of "unique object scavenger hunt", searching for visually appealing places where I would be able to stick my bumper stickers. The project itself was a lot of fun, and my friends became more and more involved as the week went on, pointing out places and objects as we continued to explore the island. It was really nice to have input from them, and in turn my Unique sitckers became a major disscussion point and source of entertainment.

I took a lot of photos of "unique places" and choose 11 to print. I've posted a few of my favorite here.


This guy, a Chincoteaque local was one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Not only was he interested in my project, but he immedietly jumped up onto his machine and posed with the sticker without question. He then continued to tell me all about his grandchildren, his oldest grandaughter (I think her name is Danielle, she is 4) loves to color and he thinks that she will grow up to be an artist. It was really cute.


Mr. Whippy's! The best icecream on the island- 97% fat free AND 97% unique!


I had to sneak on to private property for this one. I liked the look of the rust, and had to capture it. It was in the middle of a junkyard with all kinds of crap laying around. Right next to a truck was a big fishing boat that I almost stuck my sticker too...until I realized there were two people in the cabin who were watching me the entire time. Weird.



I didn't take this one to be a part of the project, but a group shot with the sticker was definitely necessary. My friends, they're pretty unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment